Oct 22, 2010

Favourite Scriptural Verses

For a long time, I read the Bible as a text that taught me how to be a Christian, and what God is like. And the Bible does that - it does teach us about God and Jesus, and the way we should lead our lives.


But what I have come to realise more recently is that the Bible is God's word - it is God-breathed and alive!


All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 
2 Timothy 3:16-17


There is indeed such great power in scriptural verses from the Bible. By articulating those verses, we are releasing that power of God.


In Genesis, we learn that God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. God spoke the world into existence and that creative power resides in His Word.


In the first chapter of John, we learn that the Word became Flesh:


 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.  3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men.


We often cling to Scripture to encourage us and others, especially in times of need. For example, when I am stressed or afraid, I often look to John 14:27...


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


... and 2 Timothy 1: 7:
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.


When I am seeking direction and purpose for my life, I cling to Jeremiah 29:11: 


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


These are just a few of my favourite scriptural verses. They give me joy, peace, comfort and hope! But they are not simply inspirational verses to uplift one's mood, they are full of God's creative power that we unleash when we speak His Word.


So, go on, meditate on His Word, speak His Word, proclaim His Word!

Who compares to you...
Who set the stars in their place...
You are Magnificent, eternally wonderful, glorious Jesus...




Please take a moment to share your favourite Scriptural verses in the Comments box below. It would be great if you could share your story on how the verse has encouraged you.

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 46:1
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

    Psalm121:1
    I lift my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.

    Hebrews 13:5
    I will never leave you nor forsake you.

    (ESV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your favourite verses! They are such uplifting reminders that God is always with us! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete